As part of primary care (Grundversorgung), the project StartWien for Refugees offers comprehensive integration assistance for all asylum seekers in Vienna from day one. The programme aims to provide relevant information to help refugees getting used to their new life in Vienna. Persons entitled to asylum or subsidiary protection are also welcome to participate in the free of charge programme.
From September 2019, information modules will be held in Arabic and Farsi/Dari at the Volkshochschule Favoriten (address: 1100 Vienna, Arthaberplatz 18) at 14:00 every other Saturday of the month.
The following topics will be discussed in turns:
• World of work: labour law provisions (employment contract, notice of termination, dismissal, holiday entitlement, unemployment benefit and emergency welfare benefit), questions about pension and insurance, etc.
• Asylum law I – for asylum seekers: What does asylum mean? What does subsidiary protection mean? Information about the asylum system in Austria, stages of appeal, and new asylum legislation
• Asylum law II – for persons entitled to asylum: rights and duties of persons entitled to asylum, circumstances that could lead to the loss of the asylum status, information about family reunification, access to the labour market, acquiring Austrian citizenship, etc.
• Education: overview of the Austrian education system (kindergarten, schools, university, adult education)
• Family life: marriage, divorce and parental responsibility, adoption and foster children, children’s rights, women’s rights, youth protection
• Healthcare: overview of the Austrian healthcare system (health insurance, e-card, pregnancy – mother child pass, parental leave, preventive healthcare, vaccinations)
• Housing: different categories of flats in Vienna, security deposits and agent’s fees, tenancy agreements, house rules, waste separation
• Living together: everyday life in Vienna, good neighbourly relations, use of public space, festivities, customs and traditions, leisure time.
There is free childcare during information modules.
See below for programme from September until December 2019
Information modules by arrangement
By arrangement, information modules and discussion groups as well as workshops can also be held in other locations (primary care homes, course locations, clubhouses, etc.). For example:
• You have a group of people in your German language class who need information about one of the above-mentioned topics in Arabic or Farsi/Dari, or
• you are planning an event at your club where you would also like to hold an information module, or
• you have a large group of people staying at your refugee home who need information about different topics in Farsi/Dari or Arabic, etc.
In this case please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The education platform Bildungsdrehscheibe, which forms part of primary care (Grundversorgung) in Vienna, provides refugees during the asylum procedure with advice about education and training, helps them analyse their language skills and qualifications and advises them about German language and basic education courses. Refugees are usually pointed to Bildungsdrehscheibe by primary care services and advice centres or by the staff of their primary care homes.
As part of primary care (Grundversorgung) there are counselling and advice centres for asylum seekers in Vienna.